Salsa verde, or green sauce, varies significantly from cuisine to cuisine but the Italian-style version often includes anchovies, capers and plenty of fresh green herbs. Here’s our simple, vegetarian take on this tangy, herbaceous sauce, which goes great with toasted sandwiches, bruschetta, pasta and whatever else takes your fancy.
- ½ cup fresh Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tarragon sprig leaves only
- 2 mint sprigs leaves only (optional)
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves loosely packed
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp agave syrup substitute soft brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1 Blend all the ingredients together until you have a smooth sauce.
- 2 Taste for seasoning; you may want to adjust the quantities of sugar, lemon or salt to suit your preference.